Understanding the Carl Moyer Memorial Air Quality Standards Attainment Program
The Carl Moyer Memorial Air Quality Standards Attainment Program (Carl Moyer Program) is a California engine retrofit and replacement program implemented through the cooperative efforts of 35 local air districts such as the Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD) and the California Air Resources Board (CARB). The Carl Moyer Program provides grant funding to encourage the voluntary purchase of cleaner-than-required engines, equipment, and emission reduction technologies in an effort to rapidly reduce air pollution.
Over the past 22 years, the Carl Moyer Program has allocated nearly $1 billion towards reducing smog-forming and toxic emissions and continues to provide over $60 million in grant funding each year to clean up older polluting engines throughout California.
The regulatory, technological, and incentives landscape has changed since the inception of the Carl Moyer Program, and California Legislature has recently modified the Program to better serve California. Most recently, Senate Bill (SB) 513 has created new opportunities for the Program to contribute significant emission reductions alongside implemented regulations, advance zero and near-zero technologies, and combine program funds with those of other incentive programs.
The Carl Moyer Program provides funding in five categories of heavy-duty diesel engines:
- Agricultural Vehicles and Equipment - Project examples: repower and or retrofit irrigation pumps.
- Locomotives - Project examples: alternative switchers, idle limiting devices, remanufactured engines, and repower and/or retrofit.
- Marine Vehicles and Equipment - Project examples: repower and/or retrofit commercial vessels, new vessel purchase, and cold ironing oceangoing vessels.
- Off-road Vehicles and Equipment - Project examples: repower, retrofit and replace tractors and other agricultural equipment, construction equipment, airport ground support equipment, forklifts.
- On-road Vehicles and Equipment - Project examples: repower, retrofit or replace heavy-duty trucks, and buses.
There are three forms of funding an applicant may receive under the Carl Moyer Program:
- Up to 100% of the retrofit costs—including installation (installing particle traps or diesel oxidation catalysts)
- Up to 85% of repower costs, including installation. Repowering is the replacement of the in-use engine with a new engine.
- Up to 25% of new vehicle or equipment purchases that are cleaner than the law requires
- Up to 85% of the new equipment (Off-Road category only)
- Up to $45,000 for a new heavy-duty diesel truck On-Road Voucher Incentive Program
How to Start the Process
Local air districts administer Moyer Program grants and select projects to fund. Contact your local air district to find out how you can apply and receive funding.
To find your local air district, learn more information on eligible project categories, or calculate potential grants use these helpful links:
Apply or Learn More